August 18, 2008

The Yellow Wallpaper: Chicago Danztheatre Ensemble performs Charlotte Perkins Gilman's famous story

I'm fascinated that a dance company is going to perform an adaptation of Charlotte Perkins Gilman's "The Yellow Wallpaper." This is one of my favorite books of all time for several reasons.  For one, it was written in 1891 by an amazingly strong woman who had suffered from postpartum depression.  It was in 1887 when she was suffering, when her doctor advised her to go home and live "as domestic a life as far as possible" and to "never touch a pen, brush or pencil" as long as she lived.  Nevermind that she was a writer.  So Charlotte obeyed her doctor's instructions and nearly went completely insane.  At the "borderline of utter mental ruin," Charlotte thankfully picked up a pen at the encouragement of a friend and wrote "The Yellow Wallpaper."  She then sent a copy of the book to the good doctor, who naturally never acknowledged it.

So this book has always meant a lot to me, not just due to the subject matter, but also because my cousin Whitney gave it to me when I'd just started recovering from my PPD experience. Whitney told me that I was in good company, and that actually felt really, really good, knowing that there was an amazingly brilliant and strong woman over a century ago who'd gone through the same ordeal.

So check out this link to the Chicago Danztheatre Ensemble's info and photo.  See the woman laying on the floor?  Looks a lot like me about 12 years ago....

If you happen to be in or near Chicago when the performance is slated, please go see it.  I wish I could!!  I think it's awesome that the Chicago Danztheatre Ensemble is helping to spread the word about PPD, not to mention honoring a great book by an amazing woman.

Performances of The Yellow Wallpaper: 

October 3-5, and October 10-12, 2008

Runs Fridays & Saturdays at 8 p.m., & Sundays at 7 p.m.

Gorilla Tango Theatre, 1919 N. Milwaukee, Chicago, IL 60647 Street parking available, CTA accessible - Blue line Western/    #49 Western, #73 Armitage and #56 Milwaukee busses

Handicapped accessible

Call for tickets: 773-598-4549

$15 general admission

2 for 1 tickets students & industry

Group discounts for 8 or more - call 773-486-8261



No comments: