March 12, 2009

Support the Melanie Blocker Stokes MOTHERS Act by signing online petition - it's EASY!

I've written about the Melanie Blocker Stokes MOTHERS Act quite a bit on this blog, and I've recently heard that an online petition is being circulated now to garner support for this wonderful bill that will have such a positive impact on new moms and in the realm of perinatal mood disorders in general. I want to spread awareness of this online petition and encourage anyone reading this to sign it. It's so easy. I just signed up to have a letter sent via email to my local legislator.

You'll want to scroll down to the bottom of the page where it says "take action now" and enter your zip code.  It couldn't be easier!

2 comments:

Frenchy said...

My little sister had a beautiful baby girl on March 1, and up until the actual arrival of her baby had been so excited to be a mom. PPD set in almost instantly, which we had all predicted due to the fact that she is also bipolar. Her psychiatrist has advised us all that she needs to not be left alone with her baby until she overcomes this.

I knew there would be challenges we as a family would be facing, but at 6 weeks in I am begining to realize it's even harder than I thought.

I am so glad to have found your blog and to read your words. You bring home and a positive voice to a difficult time for us. Thank you.

Kristin said...

Ash, I'm so very sorry that your sister is facing PPD. Especially on top of the challenge of having bipolar disorder. I really feel for her and for your family as well. Please know that she will get through this. She's so fortunate to have had an early diagnosis and a loving family there to support her. I hope that she's getting the help she needs through the proper medication and therapy. Please let me know how she's doing!